Chicken salad with strawberries
Kycklingsallad med jordgubbar
This is a delightful salad to make when fresh strawberries are plentiful. I like to make it for a light meal for two people, but it would also serve four as informal and colourful starter.
Black pepper and balsamic vinegar are classic flavour enhancers for strawberry based desserts, but here they are used to dress the salad. Some Swedes have even been known to add black pepper when making strawberry cordial and simply not tell their children. They claim their children never know, but would complain if they thought pepper was being added!
Anyway, as I like the way Swedes add fruit to salads I thought I would try black pepper and balsamic on the salad and I was delighted when it got the thumbs up from my tester (my wife!). Add some nice bread and you have a delightful meal. John
- If you’ve not got any white balsamic vinegar you could use another vinegar such as ordinary balsamic, raspberry, cider or äppelvinäger med lingon (available from IKEA).
- You can use any salad leaves. I like a mixture of rocket, spinach and watercress.
- You can use hot chicken if you prefer.
- You can make more salad dressing as it will keep it in a jar in the fridge for a week or two.
|100 g||(4 oz)||streaky bacon, cut into 1 cm (½") long pieces|
|100 g||(4 oz)||salad leaves (see tips)|
|1 tsp||white balsamic vinegar|
|1 tbsp||salad oil such as rapeseed oil or olive oil|
|1 tsp||strawberry cordial (optional)|
|100 g||(4 oz)||chicken breast, cooked roughly diced|
|100 g||(4 oz)||strawberries, hulled and halved|
|freshly ground black pepper|
1. Put a frying pan on a medium heat and when hot fry the bacon pieces for 4 or 5 minutes, stirring from time to time until evenly browned and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon on to some kitchen paper and pat dry.
2. While the bacon is frying, whisk the vinegar, oil and cordial together and then pour over the salad leaves. Toss the salad until the leaves are evenly coated.
3. Add two thirds of the chicken, bacon pieces and strawberries to the salad and toss thoroughly.
4. Garnish with the remaining chicken, bacon and strawberries.
5. Grind some black pepper over the salad and serve.
SwedishFood.com is run by a not-for-profit company set up to help English speakers around the world who would like to learn more about Swedish food.
I am grateful to everyone who has helped with setting up the site, especially writers who have so generously donated their time.
If you like SwedishFood.com please help us to promote the site by following us on:
Editor and Founder